Thursday 12 May 2016

The not-boring pants

Life's too short to wear boring pants
When I asked my husband where these pants sat on the cool/crazy spectrum, his immediate response was "somewhere in the middle." His follow-up to that statement was something like "they're definitely not boring."

Boring, they ain't. These are the tailored track pants by Hot Patterns, described as "a fabulous hybrid of slouchy, comfy trackpants and slick tailored trouser." They're exactly as described: a weird, wonderful mashup of sweats (elastic waist) and dress pants (cuffed legs).


I can't remember where I first came across this pattern, but it had been hanging about in my stash for far too long without seeing any action. In my head, I pictured something like this: a cool, kinda slouchy pair of secret pyjamas I could wear either for work/church or to the park with my kids.

Girl's got style
The fabric is a lovely spandex jersey knit from Fabricland. The only downside is that the busy floral hides the bottom cuff (which I just zigzagged because I couldn't be bothered to get out my twin needle). I kept asking my husband if it looked like I was wearing pyjama pants, and he assured me that the cut is slim enough to convince people that I didn't raid my pj drawer while getting dressed in the morning (though let's be honest..don't we all do that from time to time?).

See? There's a cuff among all those flowers...
The only alteration I made to the pattern was to shorten the crotch depth. When I first tried them on, the waistband sat so far up that we were veering into Erkel territoty. I had to unpick the waistband and cut a good inch and a half off the top, which brought the waist down to a less-geriatric level. Otherwise, I followed the pattern as written.

Flower power
Here's a shot of them styled more casually while I was out and about with my fam on Mothers' Day weekend.

Doing my best Blue Steel

Looking at these pictures, I definitely prefer the formal look. When paired with a blazer and heels, these pants read as fun and sharp as opposed to schlumpy. I'm not quite sure I can pull off the un-boring pants in a more casual setting...though they're so comfy that I'll probably wear them around and about nonetheless.

So, what do you think, readers? Totally nuts? Or just crazy enough to work?



1 comment:

  1. Cute! I like them both ways, but agree the formal is more... well, formal!

    ReplyDelete