Saturday 6 February 2016

A polka-dot Roscoe



Gettin' all boho 

When it comes to retro fashion inspiration, I'm usually a 1950s kinda gal. I love the classic silhouette of a full-skirt and a nipped-in waist - I find it super flattering and feminine and all-around pretty.

Still - I have to say that I'm totally enamored with all of the boho-inspired 1970s fashion I'm seeing right now. Case in point: this flowy, comfy Roscoe blouse from True Bias patterns. This shirt is a like a gateway drug into 70s style...I'm now seriously in danger of getting into the really hard stuff (I'm looking at you, Birkin Flares...)

For my Roscoe, I chose a super-wearable black polka dot print that tempers the dramatic shape. The fabric is a poly crepe with a bit of texture that will stand up to a drooly baby and toddler peanut-butter hands (AKA, my life).



Can't go wrong with polka dots


Constriction-wise, I cut a size smaller than my measurements called for and shortened the neckline slit a bit to minimize the cleavage factor. It came together well, though I found the neckline and armhole binding to be trickier than anticipated. I had to unpick and re-sew in a couple places, and I still wouldn't want anyone to take too close a look at my seams. But, thankfully, this fabric and style are super forgiving to a little less-than-perfect stitching in the ditch. 



Examining my slightly wonky binding

All in all, I'm super pleased with this make! This blouse is so easy to throw on when I want to look semi-cute and put-together to schlep kids around or actually do adulty things.  I'm toying with the idea of another Roscoe for spring in a floral print. I just need another tiny boho fix... :)




No comments:

Post a Comment